February 27, 2011

Wordless

I made part of my New Year's Resolution to blog once a week. Every day I remember I'm coming up on when I should write something, and wonder what to write about. Sometimes I come up with great ideas. I think about the development of the idea, how to present it, whether or not people will say something about it.

And then I sit down to actually write... and nothing comes out.

I don't know why the words vanish, but they do. They evaporate like so much steam out of a hot shower. I sit down, open the web browser, click "New Post" and... nothing. My brain becomes as blank as the post window.

I hate it, not because it's frustrating writer's block, but because there is so much I want to say. A couple times a week I wish I had a voice recorder, so I could just talk out loud, get all the thoughts out of my head and into some media form, so that they aren't lost forever. I hate the fact that my memory acts like a highly selective steel trap, letting half a dozen wonderful things through it, then snapping hard on some random tidbit. I can remember what my sister-in-law had to eat at Denny's when we landed at 10PM the day before Thanksgiving two years ago. But I can't remember the awesome thing I planned on blogging about earlier in the day.

So here I sit, writing about nothing, hoping that you understand. Maybe next week I'll actually remember something interesting.

1 comment:

  1. That can definitely be frustrating! The best thing I've found to combat this is to always carry around something that you can use to hot little notes to yourself. It can be short and sweet, as long as you can decipher it later. For me, it's my phone, but it can just as easily be a tiny notebook. They sell some neat ones these days.

    Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete