August 05, 2010

Wedding Worries

The Fiance and I were waiting until the other weddings were over to start our plans. It made the most sense. How stressful would it be to plan our own wedding while balancing our participation in another? Not to mention that it might detract from the spotlight of our dear friends who were much closer to their wedding date!

Im and Jess' wedding was last weekend and went off without a hitch. So much awesomeness. I knew they would make it precisely fit them, choosing things that suited not only their individual tastes but also tailoring the entire celebration to be very "them". Which was just so unbelievably awesome I can't even begin to describe. Everything, from location to dresses to the wine to the supremely cool photobooth, had a vibe of quirky sweetness that was distinctly like their relationship.

Now, with them off to their honeymoon and enjoying the first week of their new married lives, privately indulging in the wonders of a beautiful far-away island paradise, the planning, participation, and incredible efforts have come to an end.

Which means now it's our turn.

And dear heaven, where do we start?

We spoke a bit about this on the long (long!) drive home. What would the ceremony be like? Who would do what and where? Where should it be held? Where would we like to honeymoon? What should the dress look like? Some of it was easy. It helped having recently attended two weddings, to get an idea of what worked well and what didn't. The concept of the food+lodging+venue all being one place had much appeal, as did the hilarity and fun of the photobooth. We narrowed down a time, and an area (distance-wise) we'd like to look at. But everything is so vague... unformed.

Fiance is a hermetic. He likes his rituals filled with symbolism and meaning. I'm a shaman. It has to *feel* right. How do I plan that out? What does it look like? What should *I* look like?

I have to step back and remind myself of what I told the other brides: at the end of the day the two of us will be married, and that's all that matters. The rest is just gravy. And good gravy, I've hardly started the planning, and this is how I'm feeling?

If you see my sanity, tell it to come home, okay?

1 comment:

  1. First, I'll tell you what Stef told me: call me anytime to talk about wedding stuff. Seriously.

    Also, being the controlish-planning type myself, I would highly recommend designating a day-of point person for your dude so he is NOT coordinating on your day. If I hadn't chosen someone to take away my cell phone, I wouldn't have been able to take a moment to knit on my wedding day, and we couldn't have that, could we? ;)

    ReplyDelete