December 08, 2009

Let The Plagues Begin

I thought I could get away without getting sick this year. Unfortunately, despite my attempts at getting enough sleep, taking adequate vitamins, and overall promoting healthy and hygienic living, I got sick anyway. Bah. Humbug.

There are many reasons I hate being sick. Oh, I could go on and on. But the worst things are really quite distinct. First and foremost, I always seem to miss out on the coolest things. There was one year I missed out on a crab-and-lobster feast put on by a team of people who had volunteered to be our personal servants for the night, doling out foot massages and waiting on us hand and foot. Wine flowed, laughter echoed... and I was at home in bed with a fever of 103. Or how about the example of my own 16th birthday, where I was stuck with the flu? Even my own 25th birthday, I threw myself a party... and was coming down with something terrible before the night even ended. I got through bowling, but the hot-tubbing afterwards became a real downer because even in the warmest tub, my skin felt achy and I shivered non-stop.

Possibly coming in second-to-worst would be the various discomforts. My least favorite among which are the fire in the back of the throat and hot-lungs sensation, followed by how frigging hypersensitive everything gets. Even my own clothes feel chafing against my skin when I'm sick enough. And then there's the "it hurts to lie here completely still and just try to breathe" fun and games. When just trying to maintain existence becomes painful, it has long since past being funny.

Next on the list is weakness. It becomes a real chore to do something as simple as get out of bed to get a glass of water. I feel exhausted after putting on pants and have to lie back down after a shower. I can't do anything I need to or want to get done, the house becomes a mess because I don't have the energy to make the bed much less fold clothes or pick up clutter, and because I sleep so much due to a lack of energy, my circadian rhythm goes crazy.

So, here I am, doing work from home (and thank goodness I can, or I'd be missing even more than just fun events, but also income), sick as a dog and doing the best I can. Blegh.

No comments:

Post a Comment